A PCU (Packet Control Unit) is one of the two GPRS elements in the BSS. It implements the RLC and MAC layers of the GPRS Um (radio) interface on the MS-facing side, as well as the Gb Interface (NS,BSSGP) on the SGSN-facing side.
osmo-pcu is the Osmocom implementation of this PCU functionality.
Towards the SGSN, the BSSGP and NS protocols are implemented over UDP/IP, sometimes called "NS over IP". It has been tested with osmo-sgsn as well as an Ericsson SGSN so far.
osmo-pcu is now considered stable and already performing useful service for a number of users, but as one of the more recent additions to the Osmocom family, there still is plenty of area for improvement.
The source code is available from git://git.osmocom.org/osmo-pcu.git
You can browse it online via http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/osmo-pcu/
There is a mailing list for (development) discussion regarding the PCU: firstname.lastname@example.org You can subscribe to it (or manage your subscription) at http://lists.osmocom.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/osmocom-net-gprs
Information about testing is available here: GPRS-testing
- GPRS CS1 to CS4 with dynamic link/rate adaption
- EDGE MCS1-MCS9 with dynamic link/rate adaption
- Single-slot and multi-slot operation on downlink
- Single-slot operation on uplink
- Independent TFI/USF per PDCH in single-slot allocation mode
- Automatic or fixed PDCH allocation algorithm selection
- Delayed release of downlink TBF
- Active queue management for downlink TBF (CoDel)
- Initial setting of timing advance based on RACH
- BSSGP BVC flow control support
Shortcomings / Limitations / Restrictions
- No GPRS/EGPRS mixed mode (yet)
- Timeslots have to be assigned dedicated as a PDCH, no dynamic PDCH/TCH switching
- No support for hand-over of any sort yet
- No support of processing measurement reports
- No timing advance loop, i.e. radial movement is limited
- No support for power control
- No Packet Access Reject message on congestion, access is just ignored
- No PCCCH support
- Only "Dynamic allocation RLC data block transfer" is supported
- No network controlled measurement/cell reselection order supported
- No PTCCH support
- No support for Packet Flow Contexts (PFC)
- No support for MS or PFC flow control
- No support for RLC unacknowledged mode operation
- No support for MBMS
Authors / Credits
osmo-pcu was originally developed by Ivan Kluchnikov and Andreas Everberg.
Today it is maintaned by Jacob Erlbeck at sysmocom.
(349.8 KB) -
added by laforge 3 years ago.
release version 0.1 of osmo-pcu
(243.0 KB) -
added by zecke2 7 days ago.
First internet access through osmo-pcu using EDGE
(6.5 KB) -
added by zecke2 7 days ago.
WIP patch to add EDGE decoding for RLC frames contained in GSMTAP.
Download all attachments as: .zip