OsmoBTS is a software part of a BTS, which implements Layer 1, Layer 2 and Layer 3:
- LAPDm (GSM 04.06)
- A-bis/IP (similar to ip.access nanoBTS)
- OML (GSM 12.21)
- RSL (GSM 08.58)
OsmoBTS is written in a re-targettable way, i.e. it should be relatively easy to target a new BTS hardware (i.e. BTS-side Layer 0 or Layer 1) with it.
So far OsmoBTS supports a number of hardware options:
- Quad-band femto-BTS product called sysmoBTS which is sold by sysmocom
- Multiple indoor and outdoor fairwaves BTSs, like UmDESK and UmSITE.
- Wideband SDR transceiver hardware like Fairwaves UmTRX and a number of other SDR transceivers, using OpenBTS transceiver software.
- A pretty crazy experimental BTS hardware based on two OsmocomBB phones had originally been supported, but needs to be re-integrated with core code changes.
Check out network_from_scratch page for more information how to run OsmoBTS with UmTRX (using the OpenBTS transceiver software) or OsmocomBB phones.
The source code includes a http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/osmo-bts/tree/README file with current status information
osmo-bts has recently been extended with a socket interface towards osmo-pcu. This adds GPRS (and later EDGE) support to it.
The source code is available from git.osmocom.org (module osmo-bts).
Public read-only access is available via
git clone git://git.osmocom.org/osmo-bts.git
You can browse it via cgit: http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/osmo-bts/
OsmoBTS was developed mainly by Andreas Eversberg and Harald Welte.